Like most commercial cosmetic products hair gels are also full of aggressive chemicals that can damage your hair. Not to mention alcohol, that dries out the hair and scalp and can cause problems such as dandruff, itching and so on.
However, we know that very often we can’t be without this hair styling product, because it is the salvation for everyone that has frizzy hair.
But that’s why we have a far healthier, natural, alcohol free alternative to a commercial hair gel that does the same great job as the gel you would buy in a store. That alternative is homemade hair gel with natural and healthy ingredients that will not only style your hair but also feed your hair.
Check out this homemade hair gel recipe that styles hair equally good, and there is no fear of damage made by chemicals.
• 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin
• half a cup of hot distilled water
• 3-5 drops of essential oils (optional)
Essential oils – recommendations:
• Lemon oil smells great and is great for oily hair. In higher concentrations it can lighten hair
• Mint and rosemary oils are excellent for hair growth and shine, and are recommended for normal hair
• Basil, thyme, tea tree and lemon grass have properties that close pores, and are good for oily hair
• Chamomile, lavender, sandalwood and rosemary are beneficial for dry hair
• Sage, tea tree, eucalyptus and patchouli are great fighters against dandruff
Homemade hair gel preparation
Put gelatin (more gelatin makes stronger gel) in a glass jar and pour over half a cup (100 ml) of hot water. Mix well, for about 1 minute.
Add a few drops of essential oil of your desire, if you want to get a scented hair gel use essential oils of lavender, coconut, rosemary or tea tree oil. Mix well. Make sure that the gelatin is dissolved and that the essential oil is merged with the liquid.
Wait for it to cool, cover and leave in the fridge for 5 – 6 hours. When the jelly is made, your homemade hair gel is ready for use. Before applying to the hair, check the consistency of the gel, it must be identical to purchased gels.
Use: As with the purchased gel
Shelf life: 2 weeks