As some people don’t like peppermint lip balm because of its cooling properties (I love it), I instead started gifting this homemade hemp lip balm that is also a great solution for dry and cracked lips.
Hemp oil is a great natural moisturizer and it works great in homemade moisturizing creams, lip balms, and so on, especially if you have dry skin or lips.
It prevents moisture loss and maintains moisture balance. It’s rich in vitamin D so it helps prevent aging of the skin and makes it soft, smooth, and hydrated.
Hemp oil also helps alleviate skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, acne, and dry skin. If you’re dealing with these conditions you should include it in as much of your homemade recipes as you can. Read more skin benefits of hemp seed oil.
This hemp lip balm is great for protecting your lips from the negative external effects such as the sun, wind, cold, and pollution. And since the winter is here, making this simple lip balm is a great way to prevent chapped lips that most of us deal with during winter.
Also, you don’t have to worry you’ll get high when using hemp lip balm as the oil contains no psychoactive compounds 😀
Lavender essential oil in the recipe makes hemp lip balm smell nice since hemp seed oil doesn’t have the best smell in the world.
The amount of beeswax I’ve listed in the recipe makes a medium firm lip balm. If you see it is too firm for you, you can melt the mixture again and put more hemp seed oil. If it is too soft for your preferences, add more beeswax.
This recipe fills about 3 lip balm tubes. I usually make small amounts because I don’t need 15 lip balms at once. But if you need more of them for gifts or you have 15 mouths then multiply the amount of each ingredient 🙂
Hemp Lip Balm Recipe
- 1.5 teaspoon of beeswax
- 2 teaspoon of shea butter (or avocado butter)
- 2 teaspoon of hemp seed oil
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil or other essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Melt the beeswax and the butter in a double boiler.
- Turn off the heat and add hemp seed oil and essential oil. Stir well. Do this step while the mixture is still on the stove so the mixture doesn’t solidify. Beeswax tends to solidify really fast so you will need to be quick.
- Pour the mixture in the lip balm containers. You can do this with a pipette so you don’t spill over. If you don’t have one, simply pour it in carefully.
- Leave it to cool down for 15 minutes or so before you use it.
Shelf life: It should last for at least a year or as much as the ingredient with the shortest expiration date.
Don’t want to do it yourself? Check out this homemade hemp lip balm on Etsy 🙂
Have you tried making your own lip balm?